The Lagos State Police Command has rescued a woman, Taiwo Titilayo Momoh, who attempted to jump into the Lagoon from 3rd Mainland Bridge today.
This is coming few days after a medical doctor, Allwell Orji jumped into the Lagoon from Third Mainland Bridge.
Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni told newsmen at the Lagos Government Secretariat, Alausa, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria on Friday that Momoh was in a taxi heading towards Oworonshoki on Third Mainland Bridge when she told the taxi driver to stop on the bridge.
According to Owoseni, the woman was about to jump into the water when a police patrol team on a routine patrol on the Third Mainland Bridge sighted her and rushed to save her before she jumped into the Lagoon.
“She attempted suicide by attempting to jump into the Lagoon around Oworonshoki inward Mainland on Third Mainland Bridge. Unfortunately for her, she was rescued. The woman was in a taxi and alighted on the bridge and wanted to commit suicide by jumping into the Lagoon.
The police patrol team sighted her and rushed to rescue her before she jumped into the Lagoon,” he said.
The commissioner said from his interaction with the woman, she had depression as a result of unpaid loans, adding that “she is still insisting that she wants to end her life.”
Owoseni noted that committing suicide was an offence under the law but that the police would try to talk the woman out of committing suicide.
He said the woman would be taken through post-trauma programme to ensure that she had hope and not commit suicide, adding that the police would do a medical evaluation on her to ascertain her condition.
Owoseni lamented the rate at which people commit suicide in the country, describing it as worrisome, adding that the police had begun patrol of bridges across the state to forestall other cases of suicide.
He added that it was now an offence for individuals to walk on bridges in the state and that no vehicle would be allowed to stop on any bridge in the state henceforth in order to prevent suicide incidences.
“Right now, the woman is still in trauma and she still insists that she wants to end her life,” he said.
As the woman was being led from the RRS headquarters into a waiting police vehicle, she was confronted by several television cameras and still cameras and she reacted by saying that she was not a criminal and that her photograph should not be taken.
- #BBNaija : Photos of Big Brother Naija finalists on their way to Nigeria as they depart South Africa
- #BBNaija: Miracle emerges as Winner of the 2018 Big Brother Naija Reality TV Show
- ‘I Will Rather Stay Single If Miracle Is The Only Option After Big Brother House’ – Nina tells Rico (Video)
- Two Lesbian Partners Delivered by Prophet T.B Joshua (Photos / Video)
- Mr. P, Peter Okoye of Psquare hangs out with Diddy, Cassie in Abu Dhabi (Photos / Video)
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- July 2014
- LYRICS : Reminisce – PONMILE on
- The lady who died alongside Ebony Reigns has been alleged to be her lesbian Partner on
- #BBNaija: Davido reacts to Tobi always begging Cee C in the house on
- ‘Should I pull that up?’ – Teenage girl shares seductive Photos, ask fans if they want her to pull up her Skirt (See Photos) on
- Wizkid’s baby mama gushes about their son’s photography skills with a photo he took her (See Photo) on